Cleanliness and proper grooming can be very important to the continued good health of our beloved pets.
At Newport Hills Animal Hospital, our shampoos and conditioners moisturize your pet’s skin while helping to preserve and protect your pet’s coat.
Medicated baths help to treat skin conditions while providing relief from fleas and ticks.
We offer bathing for dogs and cats 7 days a week. Call for an appointment today: 949-759-1911
For those who wish to bathe your own pets, here are a few tips on how to make indoor bath time easier:
- Before you get your dog involved, gather all the things you’ll need and prepare the bath area. You should do this out of your dog’s presence so he doesn’t get anxious ahead of time.
- Place a bath mat at the bottom of the tub so that your pet will not slip and fall.
- Place a screened cover over the drain to catch pet hair before it goes down the drain. Look for one that will fit sink, shower and tub drains.
- Start by brushing or combing the entire coat. Remove all the mats in your dog’s coat. Some areas may need to be trimmed with clippers.
- Some people also put cotton balls in their dog’s ears. Make sure the cotton balls are the right size; if they are too small, they could slip into the ear canal.
- Once your dog is in the tub, attach a bathing tether to his collar.
- When using a spray hose, spray low and hold it closely against your pet’s coat so water saturates the coat and skin.
- When your pet is completely wet, apply shampoo to his back and then work it through his coat for about 10 minutes.
- Using a shampoo mitt, with massaging nubs, will help create a penetrating rich lather that will deep clean down to the skin. Rinse twice to make sure all the shampoo is gone. Leaving shampoo residue on a dog may cause an allergic reaction.
- Now you may want to back up. Your pet will probably want to shake off the excess water at this point. You can finish the job by gently squeezing out excess water and then drying him with towels. Keep your dog indoors and away from drafts until his coat is completely dry.